I am taking part in a YouTube Junk Journal Class run by Johanna Clough. It is a class to make a Junk Journal with her and use the photos of people in our families, that we do not know names of and anything about them. You can also use stock photos or ephemera.
I am really enjoying this different creative outlet working along with her class and I am really happy with my results so far.
You can find her YouTube Channel here and have a go it also HERE! Johanna first inspired me to stop making endless scrapbooking layouts and work in Junque Journals. I love the freedom and the fun process fo scrapping like this now, and I have been making a few!
PART 1 – Making The cover – As you can see Johanna did hers very vintage looking. I used her tutorial but did it a little different to my style.
My first attempt didn’t go quite to plan so I started again and I am very happy with this cover. I used an old book, took the pages out and used the cover. Instead of cutting out a window I used some ephemera as my cover was very thick and I didn’t want to chance to wreck it with a knife!
THE TECHNIQUE – To create this texture on my book cover, I Gessoed it all over first to prime it. I then used my glue/sealer to adhere crumpled baking paper over the top making sure it was well covered under and over it. I then used my Dylsuions Inks and sprayed over the top with one colour, then when it dried I added a bit more of another colour and some stamping paint that I used with my fingers over the creases. Once dried I added a bit more of sprayed ink and sprayed it with water and let it run. Once it dried thoroughly overnight I painted it with another coat of sealer.
On the inside of my book, I made sure the paper went inside a little and I adhered it down and tidied up the corners. I then used some Prima paper from an A4 pad I have to finish the inside. The black you can see is cloth tape that I always use to strengthen the spine. I used my crop-o-dile to punch the holes and add the large eyelets. This is where the pages will be bound in. Once the book is together you won’t really see it
PART 2 – Making the Pages – Johanna made 4 lots of paper into her signatures and I also coffee stained my A4 copy paper, added bits and bobs from my scraps as she did, but instead of sewing on a machine, I went with faux stamped stitches.
I chose to use pattern paper for the cover of each signature instead of cardstock. I added a few more pages to mine as my spine is a bit thicker.
You can see above, I used some brown twine to bind my signatures the same way Johanna has. I have left long strings on them for the next part of our class.
Thanks for stopping by